Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Customs rules and relocation

Toggle
Customs rules and relocation
Answer
3/1/08 8:25 PM
Hi,

I have been living and working in Germany for over 2 years now. I may return to India in a few months. I want to find out the rules and charges for relocating household goods.
1) I have a TV and a music system that i want to carry back with me. If i ship this with an international shipping company, will there be any customs charges that i need to pay? Any idea how much? Both items are used and over a year old.
2) For transporting furniture: Must the furniture be used atleast 6 months or more to be relocated free of customs duty?(I heard something like this but not sure if it's true)
3) Any recommendations on relocation companies that offer the best prices? Somewhere on this website, someone mentioned that the rate is around EUR 2.5 per Kg. So far, I have requested for quotations from 2-3 companies but the overall price offered by all of them is between EUR 3500-4000. The total weight of all my stuff shouldn't be more than 300 Kg.
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Customs rules and relocation
Answer
3/3/08 1:50 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
u shud use your common sense to check the prices and cost of transportation. In india you do have exemption, but not sure after how many years abroad. Check that on the web. Secondly if you go by the cost of 3000 to 4000, dear freind this turns to be 2 lakhs in india, is your stuff worth atleast that.
my best bet sell it unless your music system is something like Bose which cost the same everywhere.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/3/08 3:34 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Yes. I have a 32" Sony HD Ready TV and a BOSE Home theatre system. So naturally(by common sense), I am choosing to leave other stuff and "considering" to take this.

The reason I asked on this website was because some people mentioned a lower price and I was hoping to get some contact details of movement companies offering a better price.

Also, I couldn't find links on the site which mention about how old the furniture should be to get exempted from duty.

Therefore, my dear friend, if you have some useful information to provide like contact numbers/links etc, please provide that.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/3/08 6:03 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Hi,

Hope this link would give you some details:
http://www.murthy.com/resource/iamove.html

regards,
Peacy
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/3/08 8:23 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Thanks a lot Peacy. The link seems to have a lot of useful information.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/3/08 9:46 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Hi,

try this:
Europlus Transportlogistics & Services
Norsk-Data-Strasse 1
61352 Bad Homburg

Tel.: (+49) (0) 6172-483210
FAX: (+49) (0) 6172-483105

for 9 cubic meter, it cost not more than 2000 euro. I guess for this volume, you can ship everything you have.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
3/3/08 10:59 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Try out with Emirates cargo. They are very good and offer good rates. The lsat time I heard was they charge about EUR2.5 per KG.

Regards
Josh
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/9/08 10:55 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Schenker.com is expanding in India in a big way.

They may offer good rates.Shipping the furniture may be cheaper.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/14/08 1:28 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Hello whatnext,

According to http://www.murthy.com/resource/iamove.html, you need to pay customs tax for your TV and Music system as mentioned in Annex I and II. I hope you noticed that.

Regards,
Rakhi
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
4/15/08 12:37 PM as a reply to Aastha Vij.
Thanks for the updates, everyone.

For anyone else who is interested in this matter, I also found the following website of Indian govt. :
http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

The relevant section:
DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES AND ENTITLEMENTS FOR PERSONS TRANSFERRING RESIDENCE
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7