Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Tax Refund

Toggle
Tax Refund
Answer
1/14/05 10:08 AM
Hi All

I worked in Germany for 2 and half months
But i was in Green card
and i paid tax also for the that period
am i eligible for the refund of tax . can i aplly for the same
0 (0 Votes)

Re: Tax Refund
Answer
1/14/05 12:36 PM as a reply to tax ind.
A simplified explanation of the german tax system (obviously no warranty is given :-) )

In germany you don't pay taxes up to a yearly income of €7426 (Grundfreibetrag, for a single). After that you pay taxes with an entry tax level (Eingangssteuersatz) of 15%, this increases progressively to a top tax level (Spitzensteuersatz) of 42%.
The percentages may vary from year to year, this are for 2005.

Normally you pay every month taxes based on your yearly salary, so it can happen that you pay more taxes than you should, if you for example work only a few months in the year. Then you get this money back and they discount only the taxes you actually should have payed.

But there are some other regulations that come into account, for example if you worked abroad and had some income there, you may have to tax it (or you may not, it depends for example on such things as bilateral agreements on taxation), this money, even if you don't have to pay taxes on it, again may influence your tax level (Steuersatz), and also there is something with if you are partially of fully (steuerpflichtig).

So, the answer to your question is probably yes, so get a good but not so expensive steuerberater.

regards,
-A
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/14/05 1:40 PM as a reply to tax ind.
you need no steuerberater.
just get a year report from your firma and write everything in tax formular.
you will get everything back because if you worked less than 6 months in one year you can get your whole tax payment back
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/14/05 2:38 PM as a reply to tax ind.
yes, but only if you lived the whole year in germany, but then you probably got Arbeitslosengeld as well and even though it's tax free, it changes your tax level and ... read this: http://www.steuernetz.de/lexikon03/a35.html

if you only lived part of the time in germany, then it depends.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/14/05 7:06 PM as a reply to tax ind.
I am a GC holder too. Been here for 3yrs plus. Based on my experience, you get the refund.
I was here in November 2001 and in 2002, my tax for the 2mths in 2001 was refunded back. This amt. is the full amt on all the taxes that you had paid during the 2mths period.

But now, I want to know whether can I get any tax refund for supporting my sister who is studying in one of the university in Bremen and a house back home which I maintained currently.
My sister has been here around 1.5yrs.
Does anyone knows or any idea abt. this issues?
I went to Arbeitamt but they said that I am not eligible to collect Kindergeld or to received any tax refund as am I am not her parent or guardian, which in fact I am the guardian.

Thanks and Happy Weekend!!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
1/14/05 7:21 PM as a reply to tax ind.
I remember I read a post that 'Trust7' is in the process of Tax consulting service for a nominal fee. Is it already started ? For this year tax submission i am planning to use the service.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott