Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Visa extension-PhD student

Alternar
Visa extension-PhD student
Respuesta
8/09/11 18:51
I am a PhD student, worked here in a Research center for 4 years. Now my work contract end this month end and no possibility of further extension. But I need 6 more months to finish my dissertation. My visa is also expiring this month.I came here for my master degree and finished it in 2007. I have been living here in germany for 9 years.

I have already paid 60 months of DRV(12 months during master course+ 48 months during PhD).
I have beschaeftigungserlaubnis as “Beschäftigung jeder Art gestattet. Selbständige Erwerbstätigkeit nur mit Genehmigung der Ausländerbehörde gestattet” in my visa. &

Anmerkungen as §18. Abs.4 S.1 Aufenthg.

I urgently need some details:
First, how can I extend my visa ? For how many months at the maximum possible?

Did I am eligible for applying ALG?.

If, what I have to do next. Since I am living here with my wife, I really confused. Please some one can help me to get out these issues.
Hope you can understand my situation.
I would greatly appreciate if you could answer my queries at the earliest.

Thank you
0 (0 Votos)

Re: Visa extension-PhD student
Respuesta
8/09/11 20:12 en respuesta a Jack adams.
If you need time to finish your phd dissertation, a letter from your supervisor (institute head/professor) can fetch you an extension.
however, how you may support your family during that time would still be a question for the visa extension authorities.

alternatively: when you have lived here for 9 yrs,have not you considered applying permanent residentship?(irrespective of your plan after phd whether to leave germany or not...at least you will not be having visa problem as long as you are here)

You should be eligible for ALG.

I am not able to give you more input. perhaps some other forum user could tell you how long you may get an extension if you don't have any work contract...good luck..
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
8/09/11 23:25 en respuesta a Jack adams.
Hirvkvaradhu,

Thank you for the quick reply. But i dont have any work contract after this September.

I dont know, here in NRW, how they calcuate my student time?!! for my permanent residence permit.

I studied master degree for three and half years and i was in job search visa before i got this PhD offer.Do you think its still possible to apply for a permanent visa?. i heard its not possible without job contract and my student time will calculated as half time.
If possible, how can i approach the officials?? what are the conditions? My intension is to finish my PhD first and look for the job here in germany.

I also want to know, whether it better to get the visa first and then apply for the ALG or will they make any problems??. If you have more details,share it with me know. thanks in advance.
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
9/09/11 12:48 en respuesta a Jack adams.
How about requesting a letter from your institute that illustrates the need of your stay in Germany to finish your Phd? this could help you still even you are not paid by them.

see...my guess is that you will get a minimum of 3 to 6 months visa extension...you should also get ALG for this period. but when you get ALG,
they may also see that you are searching for a job...they may not officially entertain you doing Phd during that time. they may not like to give an extension if you don't have a work contract after that 3 or 6 months.

Did you start applying for jobs? for the moment, put the phd aside and try to get a job. once u r in job, you perhaps do your phd parallely.
since you already spent arnd 4 yrs, I hope there are not much left with your phd.

..then if possible,get your NE.
YEs. for PR, one should definitely have a work contract...probationary period should be passed...
the 5 yrs of stay to qualify for NE is calculated as follows..

with Anmerkungen as §18. Abs.4 S.1 Aufenthg. they consider full
with Anmerkungen as §16 i.e.,student period,they consider half
I guess you have in total of more than 5 yrs.
0 (0 Votos)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Estrellas: 39
Fecha: 9/03/19
VAK
Estrellas: 124
Fecha: 25/02/18
trust 7
Estrellas: 3
Fecha: 22/01/18
Ame Elliott