Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

RE: Acquiring German Passport

Toggle
Acquiring German Passport
german citizenship
Answer
6/10/14 10:25 PM
Dear Friends,

thank you first of all to the Moderator and all the Other active members of this group for having such a useful website which helps all the foreigners living in Germany.

After spending nearly 11 years in Germany and now working as a Team leader, I along with my family are now thinking to go back to india( to take care of Parents). I have 4 years old Daughter. My wife also works.
Now I am stuck with the following Questions.
1) Should I take a German Passport or not( My wife prefers to reman as Indian Citizen as she can travel to any place wherever I go as a Dependent)
2) Is a German passport for my Daughter advantageous ?
3) Do I need to think of any Problems if I go to India and apply for a Job there  ?
4) What about my Daughters education if she has a German passport ? Do we need to pay more fees for the schools e.t.c even if we relocate to india ? 
5) What is the big advantage I would gain if me and my Daughter take German passport ?

I would request my dear friends to share their Opinions so that atleast that would help me to make a good decision.

Last not but least..I love India very much and somehow leaving the Indian Nationality also hurts on the other side :-( But for sure if taking German Nationality would not obstruct my Social service activities in India, then it is not a problem.

Thanks in Advance.
Best regs,
Aravind
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/10/14 11:01 PM as a reply to aravind bhavisetty.
This queries are really important ... Admin please guide.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
6/12/14 11:42 AM as a reply to Ranadeep Dhar.
Hallo,

I am not an expert though and i do not hold a german pass yet but like to give my opinion to you.

1. It is always better to have a german passport for you (all your family) as you all can travel to any country without much visa hurdles and as well you can work easily with some short and easy process. (please look for OCI card rules and regulations when you hold german passport, that would give you an idea what benefits you do have when you or your family hold a german passport.

2. If your family hold a german passport then your daughter can decide at 18 or exactly i do not know, but she can decide whether she like to have a german passport or indian passport before certain age ( i am also not sure about this answer, some body will give you a clear picture).

3. Refer to OCI card benefits when you hold a german passport (in internet or on this forum).

4. Refer to OCI card benefits when you hold a german passport (in internet or on this forum).

5. Refer to point 1, easy access to good education for your daughter.

+1 (1 Vote)

Answer
6/12/14 3:29 PM as a reply to aravind bhavisetty.
[quote=abhavisetty

On the whole, I would say there is not going to be any great advantage of having German passport if you decide to relocate to India for good.

]Dear Friends,

thank you first of all to the Moderator and all the Other active members of this group for having such a useful website which helps all the foreigners living in Germany.

After spending nearly 11 years in Germany and now working as a Team leader, I along with my family are now thinking to go back to india( to take care of Parents). I have 4 years old Daughter. My wife also works.
Now I am stuck with the following Questions.
1) Should I take a German Passport or not( My wife prefers to reman as Indian Citizen as she can travel to any place wherever I go as a Dependent)

personal decision

You are probably thinking about your daughter's future keeping higher studies in mind / job in another 14 to 18 years. Its a long time. Are you going to send your daughter back to Germany for higher studies? which will be in German. Your daughter will have to learn German. Free education is an advantage yes. She will have to leave family and friends to study at 18. Needless stress at a very young age.

Things are changing here in Germany as well. What is free today, may not be free in 10-15 years.

India is going to see rapid growth in the next 10-20 years. There are going to be lots of changes. You may not need a German passport at all.

No work permit with German passport.. When you could come here and settle down with a Indian passport, she could also do that provided she is willing to. There is no point of taking advantage of German passport and coming to Germany to work in McDonalds, with due respect to people who work there.  For McKinsey job in Germany, you dont
have to do all this passport circus.

3) Do I need to think of any Problems if I go to India and apply for a Job there  ?

Get a job and then go to India.  PIOs have no problems.

4) What about my Daughters education if she has a German passport ? Do we need to pay more fees for the schools e.t.c even if we relocate to india ? 

Some International schools ask for passport details. The normal schools dont. They would not know unless they ask. They could ask for higher fees when they know you have foreign passport.

International schools are the latest fad now in India. Later it will be Gurukul style schools.

5) What is the big advantage I would gain if me and my Daughter take German passport ?

Refer to 3) for your daughter.

You can vote for German elections from India. You can travel to many nations without visa. You are not going to unplanned travel, I suppose.

I would request my dear friends to share their Opinions so that atleast that would help me to make a good decision.

Last not but least..I love India very much and somehow leaving the Indian Nationality also hurts on the other side :-( But for sure if taking German Nationality would not obstruct my Social service activities in India, then it is not a problem.

Thanks in Advance.
Best regs,
Aravind
+1 (1 Vote)

Answer
6/12/14 5:27 PM as a reply to aravind bhavisetty.
I feel you are trying to get the best of both worlds while taking this decision. On the very least forfeiting your nationality means you are adopting Germany as your nation. This is an important considerations at the end of the day for you. If you have no intention of returning, then why go that way?

Lets look at your questions:
But, this would even be applicable with a German passport. Do think about additional paperwork, if any, needed for taxes when you are a German Citizen in India.

For what, to return to study in Germany or for studies in India. While I cannot comment like the poster above about the future, but in terms of work permits its an advantage. In India, she can get through colleges using NRI quota (higher fees).
However, as stated above, she will have to choose when she is 18 (I guess) between India oder Deutschland citizenship.

I think this is the most important question for you, regardless of the passport query, do think how will you adjust to India (after being away for a decade). How will your child adjust to the Indian school system, and pressure of it. Not sure how old the kid is, and is she comfortable with Hindi/English/Other Regional languages to be able to adjust there. Finally, secure a job before you return, and understand that the job roles, work life balance and work culture would pose a different challenge there.

Not sure which advantage would you gain from her passport, but she would have the advantage of easier travel to many countries, free movement within EU (should the immigration policies hold good in future), easier education programs. In long term, I am not sure the current flexibility to arrive in Europe and getting permits like in Germany may sustain, immigration is almost always linked with economic growth and population growth. If in the next decade or so, either of the two start hurting the locals, the rules might change. But, no one knows if anything like that will happen.

Finally, I guess you are trying to anticipate the future, but with current data you can do only as much. You must include (am sure already have) these personal aspects as well. 

+1 (1 Vote)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott