Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Visa issues, Work permit registration?

Visa issues, Work permit registration?
Respuesta
21/02/11 5:03
Hello everyone,

Apologies if my query might have been posted earlier as well, but I have been trying my luck to find some proper answers regarding the work permit application.

I currently living in Czech Republic and found a new job in Germany. The company gave me the employment contract in German, I translated my educational certificates in German, and went to the German embassy last week with all the required documents.

The company told me that usually their employees do all the paper work themselves, including insurance.

I am trying to get myself clear with what / how the whole procedure works for securing the job as well as living in Germany. Unlike Czech Republic, German laws seems to be more complicated for me. So, can someone please clarify me if my following steps are right?
1) Apply for a residence permit with all necessary documents - 2 copies of application form, employment contract in german, education certificate in german, photo, and passport copies.
2) the form goes to the employment office in german city (in my case it is Cologne).
3) after 4 to 6 weeks I get a notification from German embassy that my visa is ready
4) I get my visa stamped, which is a temporary visa and go to Germany.
5) within 15 days, I get a permanent work permit and visa along as well as get myself a new apartment to live in. Also I register this apartment's address in my passport and maybe register at the foreign police.
6) Maybe me, but in most cases, the company should get me a health insurance. (if salary is lower than 50k Euros)

Please clear me up with this since I would need to handle all the procedure on my own and I am not even able to find a good agent in Germany to help me with these things.

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to a positive reply.
0 (0 Votos)

Re: Visa issues, Work permit registration?
Respuesta
21/02/11 10:43 en respuesta a Meenakshi K.
1) Apply for a residence permit with all necessary documents - 2 copies of application form, employment contract in german, education certificate in german, photo, and passport copies.

<< Correct >>

2) the form goes to the employment office in german city (in my case it is Cologne).

<< Correct >>

3) after 4 to 6 weeks I get a notification from German embassy that my visa is ready

<< correct, but can also take more or less time >>

4) I get my visa stamped, which is a temporary visa and go to Germany.

<< correct >>

5) within 15 days, I get a permanent work permit and visa along as well as get myself a new apartment to live in. Also I register this
apartment's address in my passport and maybe register at the foreign police.

<< First step, You need to have a apartment or any address where you will live and get yourself registered at city of Cologne. After registration, go to any public health insurance (AOK, TKK etc)togetehr job contarct and registarion letter and get the health insurance. After that go to the Visa office togtehr with health insurance, registration letter and fill the residence permit forms and you will get the work permit stamp on your passport >>

6) Maybe me, but in most cases, the company should get me a health insurance. (if salary is lower than 50k Euros)

<< see above>>
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
21/02/11 10:58 en respuesta a Meenakshi K.
If you employer pays you more than 400 eur per month, he is legally required to share your health insurance costs upto a max of 250 Euros. You can choose your health insurance provider, but the employer deducts the contributions from your salary and pays to the health insurer directly.
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
21/02/11 23:31 en respuesta a Meenakshi K.
Hi Meenakshik,

I think you are already well informed about all procedures. I am not sure what you meant by "positive reply"? If you meant some agency to do your home-work then my reply is rather negative :-(

Just to add, it is normal in Germany that you apply yourself for insurance, registration, visa etc. Not so good is: complicated laws and a lot of paper work, but good thing is that you do everything on your own (unlike US, UK where you can hire agencies and pay them for doing your work/residence permit etc) and with time you will know almost all the rules. For most just apply "common sense" and for rest, just post on trus7 :-)

The only thing that I doubt is whether temp visa validity is for is 15 days or for 3 months. My temporary visa lasted 3 months (also of my wife). You can register early of course but what if you do not find appt./flat with in 15 days and live in a hotel?

The company does not get you health insurance. You are free to choose any (TK is good) and just got to inform them with which company you work. Rest, they will take care of.

Anyways, "getting work-permit" part is the most difficult one. Rest is simple. Of course, I am speaking about paper work and not about finding appt, shifting, family reunion etc.

Regards,
Tony
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
22/02/11 20:06 en respuesta a Meenakshi K.
Hello everyone,

First of all, Thank you so much for all your replies and making me more clear with the whole process!

So, currently, my documents should be at step 2. I have started finding apartments already (I am moving to Aachen, Earlier I thought I would live in Cologne but thats far from my workplace)

If I understand I can find an apartment now and rent it from 1st April onwards. @Tonygill, You are right about the living in hostel / hotel but the problem what I am facing right now is that I am not getting any apartment to rent so far. I am also visiting aachen this weekend but I am doubting that since I dont live there, it is more easy for people living there to rent the apartment. So, my last bet was to stay in a hostel since I will get a chance to be there and make quick decisions.

Also, It is interesting to know there are no agent system unlike Czech Republic :-) But well, it seems that I am blessed to find this forum to get my doubts answered!

One last question, the health insurance - could you tellme the names of the companies more clearly and also, do I need to get this insurance before I get my visa stamped or It is something like a one day process where I go to them, fill the forms and get the insurance started?

Thanks again, I am looking forward to your replies.

Meenakshi
0 (0 Votos)

Respuesta
12/03/11 18:01 en respuesta a Meenakshi K.
"One last question, the health insurance - could you tellme the names of the companies more clearly and also, do I need to get this i........."

I can not advertise for some company emoticon I hope you understand that.

I personally have Techniker Krakenkasse(TK) and it carries good faith in Germany. Others are AOK, BKK, Barmer etc.

I do not think that you need to register with them in advance. When I flew to Germany, I just had Travel Insurance and register first day after landing. It is must for your own safety. Even if you register after 1 week, it will be counted from day of you entering. I won't wait to be honest.

Regarding Appartment: You are right, it is not easy to find one when you are not living in the same city. But if you a single, then you can opt for hostel, WG(Wohngeminschaft / shared appt) and if you are having a family then I personally wont suggest you to live in city center.

Regards
Tony
0 (0 Votos)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Estrellas: 39
Fecha: 9/03/19
VAK
Estrellas: 124
Fecha: 25/02/18
trust 7
Estrellas: 3