Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

RE: Achtung!! Medical insurance for students in Germany

Toggle
Hi,

Recently, I met a student who came to Germany (from India) last year.

- Due to cost factor he chose to buy a medical insurance from an Indian company (no need to mention name). Athough his Uni mentor recommended him ADAC and TK. The Indian company insurance was accepted by Embassy without any objection.

- Unfortunately he fell ill and was hospitalised for couple of days. He paid from his pocket and forwarded papers to concerned office for reimbursement. The Indian travel insurance created issues in reimbursing expenses and is still pending (with lost hopes albeit)

- It did not end here and now he had to undergo a surgery. Although his Indian insurance is about to expire and he tried to switch to TK but was told that during student time he has to stick with the same insurance compnay which he bought in the beginning which means he has to get it renewed.

- For all Indian students who will travel to Germany, please do not try to save on health insurance. I do not know how much it costs now but I remembered that years ago I was paying € 55 / month, saw docs during this period and was also hospitalised (unfortunately). One need not even pay from her/his pocket. The expenses are directly forwarded to insurance company.

regards,
Tony
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
10/10/12 2:44 PM as a reply to Tony Gill.
Normaly at Embassies only Travelers Health insurance is required and that too for Vistors..Universities ask for health insurance once some one is here.
I don't know how the University missed that. For example when I came for studies I don't have any health insurace but the university asked me to have one and there they recmended TK or AoK,  
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
12/24/12 11:29 AM as a reply to Tony Gill.
tonygill:
Hi,

Recently, I met a student who came to Germany (from India) last year.

- Due to cost factor he chose to buy a medical insurance from an Indian company (no need to mention name). Athough his Uni mentor recommended him ADAC and TK. The Indian company insurance was accepted by Embassy without any objection.

- Unfortunately he fell ill and was hospitalised for couple of days. He paid from his pocket and forwarded papers to concerned office for reimbursement. The Indian travel insurance created issues in reimbursing expenses and is still pending (with lost hopes albeit)

- It did not end here and now he had to undergo a surgery. Although his Indian insurance is about to expire and he tried to switch to TK but was told that during student time he has to stick with the same insurance compnay which he bought in the beginning which means he has to get it renewed.

- For all Indian students who will travel to Germany, please do not try to save on health insurance. I do not know how much it costs now but I remembered that years ago I was paying € 55 / month, saw docs during this period and was also hospitalised (unfortunately). One need not even pay from her/his pocket. The expenses are directly forwarded to insurance company.

regards,
Tony
Hi,

Yes, I really agree that health insurance should be really important if you decide to study in Germany. Not only for the formal procedures but for your own safety. You never know if something is going to happen to you. Accidents happen. 

I had the chance to study in Germany myself and I've seen the struggle of the insurance for many students not only from India but from countries all over the world. I'd say it's best that you get a plan from a German company rather than one in your country. Personally I picked http://www.mawista.com/en/

Having a bad health insurance plan will cause you huge problems when it comes to medical treatments. Many students pick a cheap plan and when an accident happens they end up paying tons of money from their own pockets. Just because having a need for medical treatment is relative doesn't mean that it won't happen.

Pick a good plan and stay safe!
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18