Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Visa Questions

Re: Credit Card due payment after it has been closed!!!!

Toggle
Hi All,
I had citibank savings account and citibank credit card in germany. I closed them both (after leaving Germany 3 months back) just a fortnight ago. Citibank savings account department told me clearly that they would deduct my credit-card dues (as my credit card was set with instruction of dues to be settled by direct debit from my savings account since the first day) and transfer the rest of the money to my new UK account.
They did transfer the money. Few days later, I get letters from credit card saying something in deutsch. I called them up and I was told that there was 115.95 Euro due. Obviously somebody in credit card or savings account department made some mistake. Result, I have to do international wire transfer. cost of it = 25 GBP. I called credit card ppl asking who is to cough up this money, the lady at the other end was quite rude and not ready to help me out in finding who is to be blamed. So, can anybody sugest what to do?
Why should I cough up 20% extra money for credit card due, when obviously it is either the credit card people (who admitted that the account has been closed!!!!!! but there are dues!!!!! God knows how could you be so reckless and have the audacity to talk rudely to the person who is at the receiving end of your blunder) or the savings account people who has made the mistake. I anyway never understood deutsch and so, to be honest, I still don't know if the 115.95 demand is genuine or they are just cheating me. Anyway, any suggestions anybody?
Now, the question I have is, should I just forget them or should I send them a letter in English asking holding them responsible for the mistake and asking them who should pay the extra money for the bank's mistake?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/18/09 12:28 PM as a reply to Anand Munshi.
Why did you pay 115.95 Euro before knowing the actual reason? You should have known the reason for due and Bank must tell you the reason... Isn't it funny Bank says you have 10000Euro due and you just pay without knowing, where you said them to take the money before closing and sending them to your UK account!!
And ofcourse, if there is a real due you have to bear the transfer cost... but you can complain against the system and if you are right they may reimburse the amount to you... also please complain against the telephone operator!!
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/19/09 11:52 PM as a reply to Anand Munshi.
hi moiin76,
thanks for your inputs. I have not yet paid. I am seking advice regarding what should I do. Actually I am BIG_ILLETERATE_IN_GERMAN_LANGUAGE and if they send me the letters, I don't understand a word and when you talk to helpline, its all german and in case they speak english, its all unofficial. I cant access my citibank credit card login as the account is disabled. So, I can't know how much I paid from my savings account to the credit card. Sometimes I feel like let them send me letters and then I'll send them a letter saying please send me letter in English as I don't know deutsche and also please reactivate my account as I want to check the details before I pay you as you yourself closed it after settling all the dues (supposedly so).
I'll keep you people updated if anything interesting happens. Has anybody shared somethign similar experience?
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/20/09 11:42 AM as a reply to Anand Munshi.
The reason is written in the letter. So, ask someone who understand German, or you can copy the text in this forum. I am sure many of Truster will try to help you.
Another point, if you do not react (postive or negative) with those people, your fine will be increased day by day!
I know this is frustating but its fact!!
Good luck....
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/21/09 1:02 AM as a reply to Anand Munshi.
At the moment it seems very frusturating for you but the best thing to handle this situation is to translate the letter and understand what the charges are about. If you ignore the letters they charges will go up day by day. At the end they will sell this debt to a debt collection agency which will pursue the debt. It may also affect your credit file in UK.
If you write a letter in English, it should be acceptable to them.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18
Ame Elliott