Our forum is the right place for exchanging infos, searching for help or helping others. Meanwhile there are many thousand posts, so please use our 'Search' function if you are looking for a special topic. 

Because the forum is used more often for unauthorized advertising, we have decided to close it for new posts.

Who still wants to browse the old posts can do this with pleasure.

Help needed!

Re: Should I pay taxes?

Toggle
Should I pay taxes?
Answer
11/24/05 10:36 AM
Hallo everybody again!! :-)
I just found a work as a Spanish teacher in a private school but I have a question.
I am married with a German, he works as an engineer for Siemens and earns very good so, he pays very high taxes.
In this school where I will work, I was asked for my `Lohnsteuerkarte` for paying taxes but at the same time the man told me that if I earn less than 7,000 per year I will be tax-free then, I would get back the money I payed as taxes...but, does it include if I am married?? because I have heard that they put my money with my husband´s money all togueter and from that they take taxes. Can anybody give me some information??
Thanks!
Maria :-)

p.d: I also give private Spanish lessons, very cheap ;-) I love teaching! :-)
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/05 11:16 AM as a reply to Sonia Garcia.
You won't be paying taxes if your monthly salary is at highest 400 euros I think.

And they don't put your money and your husband's money for taxes, they deduce taxes according to the Steuerklasse you're in and that's what that means. But your Steuerklasse is to be taken by agreement with your husband as this has a great influence on the money taken.

Your husband is surely Klass 3 at the moment, I would suggest you to take a Klasse 5.

D.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/05 11:42 AM as a reply to Sonia Garcia.
I think tax klasse 5 means you are not employed (housewife). But as per my opinion you may have to take tax Klasse 4 for both, as the husband and wife if both are working.

Skipping taxes could be troublesome Specially in germany.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/05 12:09 PM as a reply to Sonia Garcia.
tax class 5 does not mean it is housewife
tax 5 means only that someone pays big steuer.
tax 3 is small and 4 midle steuer.

so if wife has small salary and man big then he takes 3 and pays small taxes, she takes 5 and pays big taxes but since her salary is small money payed is also small, in some cases nothing.

if both earn lots of money than they choose 4
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/05 4:50 PM as a reply to Sonia Garcia.
@mary
What DvD and Nobody wrote is very correct. Your husband will be in class 3 and you will be in class 5. Also if your salary is less than 400 Euro per month, then you do not pay tax. Your work will be considered as a "Minijob", and it will not be on the Lohnsteuerkarte.
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/05 5:18 PM as a reply to Sonia Garcia.
Hi Nobody/DVD,
Could you please guide me in getting myself educated in German tax system? I absolutely don't have any idea about it. Could you please give some link to tax info and laws? (it would greatly help if it in english).

(and sorry for lame questions)
Nobody this can be one faq in your faq list

Regards,
S
0 (0 Votes)

Answer
11/24/05 6:39 PM as a reply to Sonia Garcia.
Hoping you know how to read German, go to your Bürgeramt, on the desk where you normally get your Lohnsteuerkarte, or maybe just at the reception, they have a small booklet untitled "Lohnsteuerkarte 2006" that will be the one for next year, just read it, all is described in there.

They get one out every year because sometimes they add some small things, so you better get the new one, just in case.

Or you can simply google "Lohnsteuerklasse".

But you can get this one as a short description: http://www.n-heydorn.de/lexikon/steuerklasse_wiki.html

D.
0 (0 Votes)

Recent Bloggers Recent Bloggers

trust7
Stars: 39
Date: 3/9/19
VAK
Stars: 124
Date: 2/25/18
trust 7
Stars: 3
Date: 1/22/18